The Furnas House

The Captain Bailey House

     This remarkable museum is housed in the seven-gabled Captain Bailey House. Included on the National Register of Historic Places, it's built of brick manufactured in one of the three brick factories in early Brownville. It originally stood near the Missouri River; when the river began to change its course and endanger the house, it was disassembled in 1877, and moved brick-by-brick to its present location on Main Street.
      Captain Bailey was a Civil War Captain who lived in the house for many years. A local resident relates a story that purports that doors in the house will not stay closed because it is haunted by the ghost of Captain Bailey, who was, it is said, poisoned by a jealous neighbor. Visit the museum, located 404 Main St., which is filled with artifacts from Brownville's glory days, today.
Hours: Open Saturday and Sunday from 1-4 pm, mid-May through mid-October. Call for special appointments (402)825-6001.
 
The Carson House
    
The very dignified Carson House, included on the National Register of Historic Places,  was originally built by Richard Brown, founder of Brownville, and later in 1864, became the home of John L. Carson, an early Nebraska banker, and his family. Mr. Carson's daughter, Rose, bequeathed the house to the Brownville Historical Society upon her death in 1966. Many of the original furnishings remain in the house. This property also includes a wonderful carriage house.
Hours: Open Saturday and Sunday from 1-4 pm, mid-May through mid-October. Call for special appointments (402)825-6001.
1854 Didier Log Cabin
     The 1854 Didier Log Cabin was built with whole logs running the length of the cabin, seven logs high with dovetailed corners. These logs are 8” to 15” in diameter, each chinked. The woods used in the reconstruction of the cabin were oak, walnut, pine, cottonwood, and cedar. The fireplace is erected with stone. The foundation is constructed with large lime stones. The loft is 7’ x 15’. The main room, 15’ x 15’ was used as a bedroom, sitting room and dining area. The porch, 7’ x 15’, was probably used as a summer kitchen.
     This is where meals were prepared and wash water heated in the winter. In the summer these tasks were done outside to keep the house cooler. This wonderfully reconstructed cabin is located in Boettner Park at 2nd & Main Streets. 2011 was the 50th anniversary of the gift of the park to B.H.S. by George Boettner of Rock Port, Missouri. Click here for a pdf brochure.
Hours: Open Saturday and Sunday from 1-4 pm, mid-May through mid-October for self-guided tours.. Call for special appointments (402)825-6001.
 

Wheel Museum
Located at 219 Main St., the Wheel Museum displays vintage farming equipment, wagons, buggies, a Civil War canon, a printing press, commercial fishing equipment and more.

Hours: Open daily April–October, 9 am– 5 pm for self-guided tours.
 
Brownville Depot and Railroad History Museum
     A finely preserved 1875 railroad depot and caboose feature the history of the relationship of the railroad and the Village. The Brownville Depot and Railroad History Museum is located at U.S. Highway 136 and Water Street.
Hours: Open on occasions. Call for a special appointment (402)825-6001.
 
Dr. Spurgin's Dental Office
     This charming landmark features antique dental tools and oddities in this old-time dentist’s office located at 222 Main Street.
Hours: Open April–October, 9 am– 5 pm for self-guided tours.
 
Boettner Park
     Located at 2nd and Main Streets this park is home to the 1854 Didier Log Cabin and the Civil War Memorial Marker where Co. C 1st Reg. of Nebraska enlisted for the Civil War in 1861. There are public restrooms, benches, picnic tables and a new shelter. The park is one of this village's focal points during festivals.
Hours: Open year-round.